Beer, Breweries & Brewpubs
Are you a beer lover? Interested in brewpubs & brewery tours? Did you know that Washington is the largest exporter of hops in the nation? We grow 70% of the nation’s hops used to make countless numbers of beers. And 2/3’s of the hops grown in Yakima Valley are exported to countries all over the world! There are 146 active breweries in Washington, now that’s a lot of beer. And there are even entire books written on beer in the Pacific Northwest. Wikipedia will provide a complete list of the breweries in our state, but here are some main attractions: Elysian Brewing Company, Pike Brewing Company, Pyramid Breweries, Redhook Ale Brewery, Rogue Ales and Scuttlebutt Brewing Company. And May through October, there are more than 30 beer festivals state wide, throw Oregon in the mix and there are over 40. If you love to celebrate beer, there’s no place better to celebrate than Washington State. Interested in a complete list of Washington’s breweries and brewpubs? Check out these guys: The Washington Beer Blog
And if you’re interested in staying local, here are some places to check out!
- Grove Street Brewhouse 233 S 1st St Shelton, WA 98584-2243 (360) 462-2739 Type: Brewpub
- McMenamins Spar Cafe Brewery 114 4th Ave E Olympia, WA 98501-1103 (360) 357-6444 Type: Brewpub
- Three Magnets Brewing 600 Franklin St SE Ste 102 Olympia, WA 98501-1314 (360) 972-2481 Type: Brewpub
- Fish Brewing Co 515 Jefferson St SE Olympia, WA 98501-1467 (360) 943-6990 Type: Regional
- Hoh River Brewery Olympia, WA 98502 Type: Micro
- Top Rung Brewing Company 8343 Hogum Bay Ln NE Ste E Lacey, WA 98516-3135 (360) 915-8766 Type: Micro
Brinnon’s Geoduck Tavern, located on US 101, and was one of Esquire magazine’s 2012 best bars in America due in part to its local beer selection. There is also the 101 Brewery at Twana Roadhouse which is known for its woman-made beers! The Geoduck is about 50 minutes from Union and the 101 Brewery is just over an hour.
And while we know this is supposed to be about beer, we need to also give mention to the Heritage Distilling Company which is located in Gig Harbor, about an hour from Union. They distill their own spirits and teach guests how to produce their own. And much closer to home, the Hardware Distillery.
And we can’t wrap it up without a nod to our beverage cousin, cider. Home of the apple, we have more than a few to offer, but we’ll stay as local as we can. Finnriver Farm & Cidery in Chimacum or Eaglemount Wine & Cider in Port Angeles. (both about 1.5 hours from Union)